Biograd na Moru is a city and municipality in northern Dalmatia. It is located on small peninsula surrounded by two little bays - Soline on south and Bošane on north and in front islands Planac and Sveta Katarina. Biograd is administratively part of the Zadar county. The city of Biograd is a noted tourist resort with a long tradition. As the 9th century coronation place of the first Croatian Kings, Biograd holds claim to one of the most significant towns in Croatian history. Ravaged by the Venetians in 1125 then again by the Turks in 1646, its defensive medieval town architecture has since been well preserved. You can visit the Town museum and look at the numerous artefacts and evidence of Biograd's stormy past. Here, there is an interesting archaeological collection with prehistoric, antique and early Croatian findings, boat cargo from the 16th century, and a number of other exhibits.
Biograd na Moru is one of Dalmatia’s important historical cities. It was first mentioned in the mid-10th century, and in the 11th century was the capital of the Croatian kings and bishops. Today it is a thriving tourist centre and the main town in the riviera that bears its name. It is just here, stretched out in front of Biograd, that there is the most lovely of attractions, the Kornati Archipelago, consisting of hundreds of fantastically shaped, uninhabited islands, crowning the beauty of the Adriatic. In the immediate vicinity of the coast lies Vransko Lake, rich in fresh water fish. The inundated areas along the edge of the lake are inhabited by water birds. The Biograd Riviera is surrounded by national parks, those of Paklenica, Plitvice Lakes, Krka and Kornati, with the Nature Park Telaščica hard by. All this speaks volumes for the natural
beauty of the area. Among the important historical features of the Riviera, particular mention should be made of the Benedictine Monastery of St Kuzma and St Damjan of 1125 on the ]okovac hill above the town of Tkon on the island of Pašman. During the centuries this was a nursery of Glagolitic literature and the Slavonic liturgy. A gothic sculpture of the Madonna is an important feature of the portal of the Gothic church. In the church, there are gravestones with Glagolitic inscriptions, the coats of arms of the abbots, and an important 15th century painting of the crucifixion. Not quite three kilometres north of ]okovac, on the coast, in the village of Kraj, also on the island of Pašman, lies the Franciscan monastery of St Dujam. This was founded at the end of the 14th century and has a fine cloister with a porch and a fine library. Valuable Baroque paintings of the saints are kept in the refectory of the monastery.